Sunday, December 18, 2011

How Goes the Knittin'?

What a relief to NOT be workin' on a deadline!  No knitterly gifts this year, and the only crafty one was the family scrapbook (which my parents loved!).  We've cut back too.  No gifts for the adults, except for a little Secret Santa exchange amongst the immediate family.  And we've tried to cut back with the kids too.  After all, Christmas shouldn't be about the presents; being together and celebrating our blessings should be first and foremost. 'Nuff said.
One Finished Mitten 
As for the knittin', it goes well--and incidentally remains relaxing (funny how the absence of deadlines can prove to be stress-free.  Go figure).  My son's mittens are almost done.  I've just got to work a thumb.
Second Mitten Needing Thumb
Since the project is almost done, I cast-on for something else: another sock!  This year has been the Year of the Sock--seriously.  But I do love the warmth and coziness of handmade socks.  Just perfect for a chilly day.


I just love the simplicity and ease of Liat Gat's Beginner Toe-Up Socks.  The pattern calls for plain stockinette stitch, but I always make mine in ribbing (1x3 or 2x4) 'cuz the rib seems to tighten my loose knittin'. Initially I had to sign up for the newsletter to access the pattern, but I found the PDF pattern available for free on Liat Gat's website (the worsted version) and here (fingering-weight version). 


Happy crafting! :) 

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to be you next year -- just knitting for fun and not for a deadline. Absolutely, I'm determined that will be me. Enjoy your holiday and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I made a lot of my gifts this year. I was relieved to be done with Christmas Knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really dislike deadline knitting, so your way is my way! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know I'm not alone. Happy holidays to all of you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails