Sunday, April 22, 2012

An Ending and a Beginning

So I finally have an FO to share!  Say hello to my new socks.
Finished Toe-Up Ribbed Socks
These were a pair I started before the holidays (remember my first toe-up socks?  I had used Liat Gat's Beginner's Toe-Up Socks). These blue socks are a much better fit than my first fingering pair.  I made a few changes from the last pair (even though I've essentially used the same pattern).
Perfect Fit
Here's a list of my modifications:

  • first I used smaller needles; 2.75mm made a snugger fit than 3.25mm
  • eliminated the cuff altogether and just worked my K3P1 rib till the end
  • to ensure a loose bind-off, I worked the last round using 3.25mm needles and I also cast off with the bigger needles

When I cast off the last stitch, I had decided no more socks.  But now that I'm wearing them, I wanna make more.  They don't have to be finished right away; and they do make a wonderful portable project, especially when I need a mindless activity.  Guess I better look through the stash for more sock yarn.  And I think I'm gonna peruse my patterns too.  It'll be nice to try something different.


As you may surmise, my socks represent "an ending" to a project I started in December (can't believe its been that long!).  As for "the beginning", take a gander at this sight:  what was once tall dried grass and brush is now a plowed field.
Overgrown Grass and Brush


Plowed Field
I just love it!  Not only did our neighbour plow under all the growth with his tractor, he also added some cow poop--its a farmer's black gold!  A day later, he came back to till the soil.  Now it's just so beautiful!  I love it!  I'm so excited to get planting.  Just hafta wait for all our ordered seeds to arrive (the chickens will be coming soon too . . . squeee!). 
Front Flower Bed
Even the front of the house is getting a re-make.  What was once an over-grown bush has been cut back severely.  The area has been expanded too.  I must have dug up hundreds of rocks--great big ones!  Used the rocks to make a border round the newly expanded flower bed.  Not sure yet what's gonna go in there, but I'll be visiting the local nurseries soon to check out their perennials. 


Hope your week is a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails